Monday, May 31, 2010

My Onions are Bolting

Do I Harvest Onions Now When Some Are Bolting?

My onions are not falling over yet so they are not actually ready to be harvested, except if  I want some giant scallions, which is what the look like now.  Giant white and giant red scallions.  But they are beginning to flower which is not a good sign. I suspect that this is the result of the strange mix of hot and cold weather that has been confusing all of here here in the San Fernando Valley. It has been suggested that a different variety of onions perhaps should be planted.  I wouldn't have the faintest idea which varieties would be better or if any other would perform better with these weather fluctations.

 Maybe the flowers will provide me with more seeds for this next year.  I hear that some varieties actually have flowers that have little bulbs.  That would be fun to see.




No comments:

Post a Comment