Monday, June 22, 2009

Banana Plants Driving Me Bananas

Two summers ago I ordered one dwarft banana plant (Musa Canendish) from the Park Seed Company. It was rather pathetic looking after its journey but I planted it anyway not expecting it to live through the week. Surprisingly, it not only survived, but grew by leaps and bounds and produced a number of little seedlings. It never gave me any bananas but I now have 9 banana plants. I finally separated all the seedlings into its own pot. One just died but left 2 little seedlings behind in its pot.

Now I have absolutely no idea how to take care of these guys. They spent their first summer outdoors and grew very well. Last summer they remained behind in the greenhouse. Now they are back outdoors where they will remain until winter. Being that we are in Southern California they might like to live outdoor all year but they have yet to tell me their preference.

I would so like them to do their stuff and produce some bananas. Nine banana plants could bring in a bumper crop. I am looking forward to my first harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment